Sunday, August 11, 2013

Advice from Strangers

While taking advice from strangers is not often recommended, especially when it relates to investments, donations and other financial matters, there is good reason to ponder the input of those who have no emotional investment in our lives.

Back in my college days, a friend and I gave a lift to a blind hitchhiker.  After listening to our conversation for a period of time, he stated that my friend had a great voice for radio and should consider becoming a disc jockey.  While this unsolicited advice was laughed off by my friend, I have never forgotten the incident for one reason: I had already come to that conclusion myself (especially in light of his engaging personality and terrific sense of humor) but never mentioned it since I knew he was focused on another career.  During that same period, my English teacher took me aside after class to advise that I consider a writing career; while I appreciated her recommendation and had long engaged in a variety of writing activities, I was too focused on getting into medical school to give much credence to her comments.  Forty years later,  I realize that her advice has remained a significant source of inspiration and has influenced my life in many ways, especially my decision to undertake a side career as an author and publisher.

We often dismiss the casual comments and advice that we receive from strangers, telling ourselves that they don't know us well enough to provide valuable input.  Yet, this feedback deserves some consideration, especially since it is offered by persons who generally have nothing to gain from our response.  While the advice of family and friends tends to carry more weight, it is tainted by both a reluctance to derail our career and the hope (however subtle) that they might bask in our success.