Sunday, October 10, 2010

Birding without Binos

Binoculars are an essential tool for beginning birdwatchers, who learn to distinguish the individual species by close attention to their plumage and other physical characteristics. So too do avid birders rely on binoculars, ever vigilant for rare and accidental visitors to add to their life list.

For many of us, though, birding is simply part of our fascination with natural ecosystems. Once familiar with the birds that reside within or visit our region, we are more interested in how they fit into the ecology, anticipating their presence in the varied habitats. Since we usually bird while we hike and since we recognize birds by their shape, color and behavior, we are less concerned with close inspection, content to simply enjoy their company amidst the sights, sounds and smells of nature.

Of course, I often have my binos in the backpack, just in case I see something that is unusual or not readily identified. And, whenever I visit ecosystems or landscapes that are new to me, I am inclined to study the wildlife with more scrutiny. But, for my wanderings in familiar territory, birding is just a natural element of the overall experience and, for the most part, the binoculars stay in the backpack.