Sunday, November 22, 2009

Raking Leaves

Raking leaves, to the extent that I bother, is one of my favorite forms of yard work; it takes me outdoors, provides exercise, is not terribly exacting and always (by my own choice) occurs on a mild autumn day. Yesterday, with partly sunny skies, a minimal breeze and a high near 60 F, offered a perfect opportunity.

Not inclined toward masochism and dedicated to recycle the leaves to nourish the plants in our yard, I rake them into mounds around the trees or into the shrub and flower beds that line the fences; by mid spring, most have disappeared into the soil. I'm also inclined to stop frequently to take in the sights and sounds of autumn, my favorite season of the year. Yesterday afternoon, the squirrels were busily gnawing on black walnuts, their squeaky efforts ringing through the yard. Woodpeckers were especially active, represented by a pair of downies, several red-bellies, a host of flickers, a hairy woodpecker at the feeder and a lone yellow-bellied sapsucker. The usual mix of chickadees, titmice, cardinals, nuthatches, finches, blue jays and mourning doves also moved through the property, Carolina wrens sang from the wood border and boisterous crows called in the distance.

Even with the frequent, self-imposed distractions, the raking took less than an hour and I found myself looking for other reasons to hang out in the yard on that pleasant autumn day. Then I decided that relaxation, fresh air and a chance to recharge my soul were reasons enough.