Friday, October 19, 2007

Flying South

Like many birds, I will be flying south this weekend. But, unlike the feathered travelers, I will be coming back next week. And, as one who prefers seasonal change to year-round heat and humidity, that's fine with me.

While I always enjoy a visit to our place on Longboat Key, off Sarasota, a week or two of summer like conditions is more than enough to make me yearn for cool, dry air. I have not been a summer person since I turned in my lifeguard whistle, 35 years ago, and, the older I get, the less I tolerate the Midwest steambath. Which explains my fondness for our Colorado farm!

But Florida can be a fascinating place to visit, with its subtropical foliage, diversity of birdlife and unique fauna. For anyone who has an interest in meteorology, it also offers an awesome mix of cloud formations and thunderstorms. And, of course, a daily walk on the beach can be good for the soul!